Cajun Black-Eyed Peas
- 1 Tbs. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 stalks green onions or scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 teas. diced poblano pepper
- ¾ cup organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz. cans black-eyed peas
- 1 Tbl. lemon juice
- ½ teas. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teas. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until hot. Add all onions, garlic, and poblano pepper. Saute the vegetables for 2-3 min. until aromatic then add the vegetable broth.
Pour beans from can into strainer and rinse with cold water.
Add the beans, lemon juice, and all spices and herbs to the vegetable broth. Simmer 20-25 min. while stirring occasionally until beans and vegetables are soft.
Remove from heat and either enjoy warm or chill and serve.