Roasted Tomato Soup
If canned fire-roasted tomatoes are not available, substitute traditional canned whole tomatoes.
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (28-oz) can fire-roasted whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. double-concentrated tomato paste or 2 Tbsp. regular tomato paste
- ½ teas. freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- ¼-1/2 teas. smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 small sprig of thyme
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves plus additional leaves for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 3-5 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, black pepper, red pepper, paprika and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 35 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil leaves and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Puree the soup in a blender, in batches, returning the pureed soup to a large saucepan. Gently warm the soup if necessary before serving, garnished with the additional basil leaves.
Serving: 1 cup