- ¼ cup wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup each chopped onions and chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (19 oz) tomatoes, drained, cut up
- 1 cup diced okra or zucchini (see hint below)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. each paprika, dried thyme, and dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled
- 3 cups hot, cooked brown or white rice
+Sprinkle flour over bottom of a small pie plate. Toast at 400 for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Stir once or twice during cooking time. Remove from oven, transfer to a small bowl, and let cool.
+Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in toasted flour and cook for 1 more minute. Add broth and mix well. Add drained tomatoes, okra, cumin, paprika, thyme, oregano, pepper, and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
+Add shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes until shrimp is cooked through. To serve, spoon rice over bottom of individual serving bowls. Ladle gumbo over top. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.