Pump Up the Jambalaya
(Spicy jambalaya with turkey sausage and scallops)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup each chopped onions, chopped green bell pepper, and chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. turkey kielbasa (low fat), casing removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 ½ cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups mild salsa (see hint below)
- ¾ cup uncooked, long-grain white rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning (low-sodium)
- ½ tsp. each dried thyme and dried oregano
- 12 oz. uncooked bay scallops
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh parsley
+Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
+Add kielbasa and cook for 2 more minutes. Add all remaining ingredients, except scallops and parsley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent rice from sticking.
+Stir in scallops and parsley. Cook for 5 more minutes, until scallops are cooked through and rice is tender.
Makes 6 servings.
Hint: Use medium salsa if you like your food very spicy.