- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 15-oz. can, drained, rinsed and mixed
- with a spritz of fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups cooked brown basmati rice
- 3 Tbs. red bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh parsley, minced
Preheat oven to 375; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine chickpeas, turmeric, paprika, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, oil and lemon juice in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping sides occasionally.
Transfer mixture to a bowl and fold in rice, bell pepper and parsley.
Moisten your hands to keep mixture from sticking, then shape mixture into ¼” thick patties about 2 ½ “ in diameter. Place them on prepared pan and bake for 22 – 25 minutes until patties start to get dry and crisp on the outside. They’ll firm up as they cool.
For a crispy burger, heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook patties for about 3 minutes on each side till golden brown. Want a delicious dip for fresh veggies? The chickpea and spice puree from the food processor makes a delicious hummus.
Makes 17 patties