Tofu with Peanut-Ginger Sauce
- 5 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. smooth natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach (6 oz.)
- 1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms (4 oz.)
- 4 scallions, sliced (1 cup)
To prepare sauce: Whisk water, peanut butter, rice or white vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic in a small bowl.
To prepare tofu: Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight ½” thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 – 7 minutes more.
Add spinach, mushrooms, scallions and the peanut sauce and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 – 2 minutes more.