Green Beans with Caramelized Red Onion
- 1 pound whole thin green beans, stem ends trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- ¼ teas. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Drop in the trimmed beans. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, until tender-crisp. Drain and immediately place in a bowl of iced water to cool. Drain and pat dry (this can be done while onion is cooking).
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper. Cook the onion for 10-15 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook for about 20 minutes, until the onions are golden brown. Cover and reserve until ready to serve.
Just before serving, add the green beans to the onion. Warm thoroughly over medium heat and adjust seasonings.
Serving ½ cup.