- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced leek
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- ½ teas. minced garlic
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 1 large carrot)
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup celery leaves
- 1 (15 oz. ) can chopped tomatoes (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ lb. (2 cups) French green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 5 cups organic low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 multi-branch sprig of thyme
- ½ teas. freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Add the leek, shallots and garlic. Cook stirring, for about 3 minutes, until the shallots are translucent. Add carrot, celery and celery leaves. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the celery is softened.
Add tomatoes, lentils, stock or broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the lentils are soft, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The cooking time of the lentils may vary. Remove sprig of thyme before serving.
Serving size: 1 cup