Life Enhancing Lentil Soup
- Cup vegetable broth for sautéing vegetables
- 4 celery stalks, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups red lentils
- ¼ cup brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh marjoram, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp. garlic salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. lemon pepper
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
In a large soup pot, heat vegetable broth. Saute celery, carrot, peppers, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add water and vegetable broth to pot. Stir in lentils and rice. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 25 minutes.
Stir in herbs, garlic salt, curry, cumin, lemon pepper and pepper. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until lentils fall apart and mixture thickens.
Stir in lemon juice.
Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with cilantro or parsley as desired.