Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs
- 2 medium (about 1 lb.) sweet potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup finely diced red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- ¾ cup finely diced green bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- ½ cup finely diced red onion (about 1 small)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp. minced oregano
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- 8 egg whites
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the sweet potatoes for about 3 minutes, until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
Heat 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and cooking spray in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red and green pepper, onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the cooked sweet potatoes, oregano, black pepper and paprika. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft and lightly brown.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large, preferably non-stick skillet over medium heat. Separate eggs into a small bowl and cook until lightly scrambled.