Three Mushroom Soup
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, thoroughly washed and chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup thinly sliced shallots
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 1 lb. white button mushrooms, stems removed, cleaned and sliced
- ½ lb. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, cleaned and sliced
- ½ lb. cremini mushrooms, stems removed, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teas. chopped thyme
- ½ teas. freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups organic low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 Tbs. minced parsley
- 2 Tbs. snipped chives
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the leek, shallots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until softened. Add mushrooms, thyme and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes until the mushrooms soften. Add the broth, cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes.
When the soup is finished cooking, remove it from the heat and cool slightly.
Puree the soup in batches in a blender, returning the batches to a large saucepan. Stir in the parsley and gently heat the soup through. Serve garnished with chives.