The Whole Enchilada
(Chicken, rice and black bean enchilada casserole)
- 2 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 ¼ cups salsa
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 can (8 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup each diced carrots and diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 Tbsp. each lime juice and chopped, fresh cilantro
- 12 6” corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded, fat-free sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
+Combine tomato sauce, salsa, 2 tsp. chili powder, 2 tsp. cumin, and oregano in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
+Meanwhile, combine chicken, rice, beans, carrots, red pepper, onions, lime juice, cilantro, remaining 2 tsp. chili powder, and remaining 1 tsp. cumin in a large bowl. Mix well.
+Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. To assemble casserole, spread 1 cup salsa over bottom of baking dish. Arrange 6 tortillas over bottom, overlapping as necessary. Spoon another 1 cup sauce over tortillas and spread evenly. Top with one-half chicken-bean mixture and remaining cheese. Spoon any remaining sauce over top.
+Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly and heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Top individual servings with a dollop of sour cream.
Makes 8 servings.