Spicy Beef with Shrimp & Bok Choy
- ¼ cup Shao Hsing rice wine
- 1 ½ Tbsp. oyster-flavored sauce
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- ¾ lb. lean sirloin steak, trimmed of all fat, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- ¼-1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 10 raw shrimp (21-25 per lb.), peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1 lb. bok choy, preferably baby bok choy, trimmed and sliced into 1” pieces
Whisk rice wine, oyster sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl until the cornstarch is dissolved.
Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok over med-high heat. Add beef and crushed red pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until the beef begins to brown, 1 – 2 min. Add shrimp and continue to cook, stirring, until the shrimp is opaque and pink, 1 – 2 min. Transfer the beef, shrimp and any juices to a plate.
Heat the remaining 2 tsp. olive oil over med-high heat in the same pan. Add bok choy and cook, stirring, until it begins to wilt, 2 – 4 min. Stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return the beef-shrimp mixture to the pan and cook, stirring, until heated through and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute.